Located in downtown Toronto, Randolph Theatre is a landmark, not only in the history of Toronto but also the heritage of theatre in Canada.
Oscar Peterson. Karen Kain. Jim Carrey. Janet Van De Graaff. Gordon Pinsent. Eddie Izzard. Jackie Richardson. Martin Bragg. Jesse Cook. Joni Mitchell. Matt Dusk. Louise Pitre. Canadian Music Week. Just for Laughs. Fringe of Toronto Theatre Festival. Classical Theatre Projects. Bat Boy: The Musical. Evil Dead: The Musical. Spring Awakening tour auditions. Jersey Boys auditions. Once auditions.
These are just some of the individuals and companies who have graced the stages and studios at Randolph Centre for the Arts. The Gothic revival building is a landmark, not only in the history of Toronto but also the heritage of theatre in Canada. Its reputation as a roadhouse for original Canadian productions is a testament to a legacy of innovation and opportunity that continues to this day.
Beautiful and functional, the building was profiled in 2009 by the Ontario Heritage Trust as a prime example of adaptive reuse of places of worship. 736 Bathurst boasts the historic Randolph Theatre (formerly the Bathurst Street Theatre), the intimate Annex Theatre, and several Studios, all of which are available for rental. In addition, since March 2001, the building has been home to the Randolph College for the Performing Arts..
The current building was erected in 1888 by the congregation of the Bathurst Street Wesleyan Methodist Church. The cornerstone was laid by Sir John A. Macdonald, first Prime Minister of Canada. Over the years it inspired many church congregations, eventually becoming the Bathurst Street United Church. In the 1950s, facing a dwindling congregation, the building began to be rented out for concerts and plays. The building became better known as a theatre than a church. In 1985, the building became a permanent and well known theatre.
To find Toronto hotels nearby, visit HotelsCombined
736 Bathurst St.
Toronto, ON M5S 2R4
WHAT'S ON !
ABOUT THE THEATRES
- The Randolph Theatre consists of a main floor level as well as a balcony level.
- Seating capacity is 518; 263 on the main floor and 255 in the balcony.
- For LLBO Special Occasion Permit purposes, the allowed room capacity is 250
- (Lobby and Concession areas only, no liquor permitted in the main auditorium).
- LLBO Premise Registration Number is 6544.
- The theatre has a barrel vault ceiling rising to over 40. Stage depth 31, useable width 42. The grid is suspended at 20(+/- 12) above stage. The maximum distributed load on the grid is not to exceed 7900 lbs. Travellers for cyc and velours are installed upstage and midstage. Some velour legs are available in black and red.
- The theatre has 72 channels of lighting dimmers installed, with DMX input and Horizon digital control. Lighting inventory is attached. There is normally a house lighting plot.
- The AC power supply is 3 phase 208v, 200amp, with E-1018 camlok connectors in the dimmer room for additional equipment.
- The sound system has a Yamaha M7 digital mixer. The PA system has SLS Array speakers, Subs and Stage Monitors.
- There is a baby grand piano in the house.
- The concession is located at the back of house left.
- Public washrooms are in the basement, front of house right.
- Dressing room and green room facilities are backstage right. There is out-of-house crossover with entrances backstage right, center and left, and both sides at balcony level.
- Scale drawings are available by request.
- The balcony is accessed by two staircases; there is no elevator access to the balcony.
- Seating capacity 100.
- The Box Office and theatre entrance are from Bathurst Street, on the South of the building, only open when a production is in progress.
- Ceiling height 31. Lighting pipes are mounted on the walls at balcony and upper levels.
- AC power supply for lighting; 100amps, 3 phase, with camlok E1018 connectors. Worklights, dimmers and basic lighting are installed.
- Theatrical lighting equipment is available on-site.
- The sound system has a 12 Channel Mixer and 3-way main speakers, with accessories. Kawai Upright Piano.
- Public washrooms are at the back of House Left.
- Dressing Room facilities are at balcony level, stage right.
- There is out-of-house crossover with entrances backstage right and left, both sides at balcony level, and from the back of the house.
- Scale drawings are available by request.
- Randolph Centre for the Arts also has 4 studios and 5 tutorial rooms available for rehearsals and smaller performances.
If you are interested in booking one of our venues
please submit a rental inquiry to schedule a tour or inquire about rates.
Rentals Manager | 416.924.2243 | firstname.lastname@example.org
THE TORONTO FRINGE FESTIVAL
The Randolph Theatre is perfectly situated in the heart of the Fringe Festival's central hub, and the Centre has been a generous host to some of the Fringe Festival's biggest hits in the past three years.
PLAN YOUR VISIT
The Randolph Theatre is located at:
736 Bathurst Street | Toronto, ON M5S 2R4 | Phone: 416.924.2243 | Fax: 416.924.1535
Take the Bloor-Danforth line to Bathurst Station. Turn left to exit the stationand walk south down Bathurst Street to Lennox Avenue
Hwy #401 to Bathurst Street exit, then South on Bathurst. The Theatre is located one block south of Bloor Street on the West side of Bathurst.
QEW to the Spadina Road exit, North to Bloor Street, then West on Bloor to Bathurst Street. South on Bathurst.
There are a variety of underground and surface lots as well as street parking in the general vicinity of the Randolph Theatre. Be advised that the Randolph Theatre is not directly affiliated with any of these parking lots. We advise that you provide yourself with ample time in case of difficulty finding parking.
The Randolph Theatre is accessible by a ramp located at the main entrance of 736 Bathurst (not the Randolph Theatre entrance). The ramp includes two 90-degree angle turns. Wheelchair accessible seating is available for all performances in the Orchestra only. There is no elevator access to the balcony. Please request an orchestra seat.
Washrooms and facilities are fully accessible.